Sunday, October 17, 2010

Preserves

Tomorrow I'm going to try canning for the first time. I'm not quite sure why I have decided to take this on, but it sure does seem like a lot of fun. The only reason I can come up with for me doing this is because we have gone to so many farmers' markets this season and, as I looked at their fresh jams and jellys, I realized that I can also do that! This happens a lot. We're at the bakery or the grocery store and I see something tasty and I think to myself that I can do that too. This is where most of my inspiration comes from. So, aside from the fact that I hate grocery store preserves with their high fructose corn syrup, this, I imagine, is the reason why I am tackling homemade preserves.

The preserve making process isn't hard in and of itself, but the actual canning process is a very fussy process, but more on that tomorrow. What I don't understand is why the process is called "canning" when there are no cans involved! We use jars, so call it "jarring" or something. I don't know. Anyway, more tomorrow when this is either a huge success or total failure:)

No comments:

Post a Comment