Friday, October 8, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes

I guess pancakes don't really fall under the baking category, but I'll add them anyway:)


I have cereal every single morning for breakfast. Days don't go well when I don't have my morning bowl of cereal. For some, it's coffee...for me, it's cereal. So I miss out on the plethora of other breakfast items available. Thank goodness, though, for breakfast for dinner....


We made buttermilk pancakes and turkey bacon last night. Having turkey bacon was a real treat. Usually we have fake vegetarian bacon on our veggie burgers because the thought of real bacon makes me sick. Ok, so turkey bacon isn't REAL bacon, but it's as close as I'll get. I bought blueberries to put in the pancakes, but forgot to add them, which is ok because I'll just have them in my morning cereal:)


The recipe is from http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2008/11/23/how-to-make-buttermilk-pancakes/. The original recipe called for a pinch of salt, but I omitted that. Also, instead of the olive oil, you can add melted butter. Lastly, if you want to mix in fruit, add it in before the olive oil.


Ingredients:


1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder

2 tbs olive oil 


Directions:


1- Whisk the egg until light and frothy
2- Add the buttermilk and whisk
3- Add the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil and whisk until smooth
4- Add in any optional fruit
5- Add the olive oil and whisk until smooth
6- Spray a pan with non-stick spray and heat. Heat oven to the lowest setting to keep finished pancakes warm. Ladle or spoon pancakes onto pan and leave them until the tops begin to bubble. Once the tops bubble, flip them over to finish cooking. They should be golden brown on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment