Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Apple Pie

Normally I follow recipes, or at the very least the skeleton of a recipe. I might add my own little extra into a recipe, but I never go into the kitchen without some idea of where I am headed, but yesterday I took the leap. Apple pie seemed like a good start for this- it's pretty hard to mess up and we just went apple picking on Sunday, so we have an abundance of apples!

The recipe I ended up creating is pretty similar to lots of recipes out there.

For the crust, I used, once again, Martha Stewart's recipe found here: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/our-favorite-pie-crust
Be sure to double the recipe for apple pie. But don't double the butter, use about a stick and half.

My Apple Pie Recipe:

Oven: 375 degrees
Ingredients:
2 9" pie crusts (See above link)
Peel and thinly slice apples (I used 1 pretty large and 4 smaller sized apples)
Lemon Juice
1 cup Flour
1 cup White sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar (I used dark)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon (plus additional for sprinkling)
a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
Walnuts (optional)
1 tbsp Butter
Milk

Directions:
1- Once apples are cut, add a splash of lemon juice to prevent browning.
2- In the same bowl, add the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and splash of cider vinegar (enough to coat the apples). Mix everything together. The mixture should coat the apples with a little leftover on the bottom of the bowl.
3- Add in the walnuts, if you choose.
4- Put the apple mixture into the pie crust
5- Cut butter into thin slices and place around apples in crust
6- Put top crust on pie
7- Brush milk on top of crust
8- Sprinkle cinnamon on top

To bake: Put foil around the crust to prevent burning. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, take the foil off and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Crust should be a golden brown color.

No comments:

Post a Comment